Best Websites with Video Backgrounds
Why websites with video backgrounds are still trending
Using video background on website pages is a trend that took off several years ago. Unlike many trends it is still popular and if anything is still continuing to grow. Why did video background websites take off in the first place and why do the still continue to increase in popularity? The use of website background video probably exploded because of HTML5 which made it easier to use video with fewer problems. There are plenty of website developers and designers who are constantly looking for the next thing that could possibly give them an edge. HTML5 made video backgrounds an effective tool that initially not many people had seen. Those involved with website development have known about it for a while, but for the average internet user, stumbling across a website with video background for the first time, can make an impressive first impression. Some of the reasons video backgrounds continue to grow in popularity include:
- Unique and original websites: While video backgrounds on websites have been around for a few years, there is still a lot that can be done with them creatively that hasn’t really been seen before. A good design and development team can regularly come up with something that people still find fresh.
- Technical advances: It seems like there are technical advances that contribute to the use of video backgrounds on a daily basis. From faster internet speeds, to better video formats, to tools for designing websites with video backgrounds. All of these things make developing video background websites easier, and they also contribute to an improved user experience.
- Video background websites work: They work not only in the technical sense, but also in performing the job they are intended to. That is promoting websites, attracting viewers, encouraging user engagement and conveying whatever message that they are meant to for a website. If they weren’t an effective marketing tool, the newness would quickly wear off. As long as they perform the marketing duties they are meant to, good marketers will find ways to keep using them.
Elements that websites with video backgrounds should contain
Originality is one of the things a good video background website has, just as it is with many other aspects of a website. There are some elements that good websites with video backgrounds should have in common even if they are otherwise unique. These elements include:
- Good quality video: You should use high quality video for website background video. Blurry video or video that is of lesser quality is not likely to impress or be effective. If you can’t use good quality video then there is little point of using video at all as it could do more harm than good. It isn’t that hard to locate high quality video clips although it will cost more if you want an original clip.
- Browser compatible: No video format works on all browsers so you will need to use more than one format. It is also a good idea to have a static image to fall back on should something go wrong.
- Short videos: Videos used as website backgrounds should be kept relatively short. Nothing over thirty seconds is what some recommend while others find fifteen seconds to be around the optimal length. This means you need to convey your message quickly. The background video html5 is the hook to generate interest. You can provide lengthier content once interest has been gained.
- Decent loading speed: You want your website to load quickly as most people won’t wait longer than a few seconds for a site to load. Not all users will have fast internet connections, and video on your website will increase loading times. Be careful it is not by too much or you will lose potential visitors.
Some good websites with video backgrounds
Here are ten websites that make good use of video backgrounds:
Take a look at these websites with video backgrounds and see if there is something that would suit your own website.